Saturday, July 28, 2007

Just a thought.


Stashed in the back of a closet at my mother’s house is something that I run across from time to time when I am searching for Christmas gifts. It is stored in a clear box and looks much like it probably did the day it went into the closet. It’s my mothers wedding dress. Maybe she still has hopes that one day I will wear it down the isle, but I think she knows me better than that. Not that a dress from the 70’s is not classic and beautiful, but it probably wouldn’t fit into the décor I would pick.

I know that the current trend is to take a piece of your mother or your grandmother’s wedding dress and sew it into your own wedding gown, but what about taking it that much further. What if you did something that no one would expect. What if you turned the dress into monogrammed handkerchiefs to present to your mother, grandmother, bridesmaids or husband to be. I can think if nothing more special than giving my mother something so meaningful to remember the day with. At the reception you could also honor this dress by placing a picture of it, before it was “revamped” with a note explaining to guests the gift you had given out. What a wonderful way to incorporate your family’s old heirlooms into your beautiful day.

*Sorry to spoil the surprise mom, but I am hoping by the time I get married you will have forgotten about this.*

1 comment:

Stacy Cross said...

That is an AWESOME idea, Rach! :) I wish I had done that!