Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Hair

So I dyed my hair.

In the scheme of things it was not really that big a deal, to anyone except me. It was one of those things, I wanted to be spontaneous, which I never am. I thought I would like it, and I do, sorta.

The good thing about this is that I don’t have to live with it for long. I will see pictures of myself and think, “Why in the world did I do that?” Then I will vow not to do it again, although in a few months I will get the itch again.

So here is my advice today. Don’t have a wedding hairdo that will eventually be a hair don’t. Use the following tips and make it something you can look back at and say “Well at least my hair looked good!”

Plan Ahead
If you have your hair colored, permed, or treated, have it done at least one month before your wedding date. The extra time will soften your style a bit, so it looks more natural. Also, should disaster strike, you'll have time to fix it.

If you're headed to a sunny honeymoon destination, keep your locks luscious by putting SPF 30 sunscreen on just the ends of your hair. It'll keep damage to a minimum and preserve your color.

Loosen Up
Don't get your hair done (or do it yourself) too early on your wedding day, and don't wear it pulled back too tightly. Your scalp may start to hurt and you could get a headache if you wear a killer updo for too long.

Keep It Neat
Get a trim a few weeks before your wedding date to neaten up your tresses and eliminate split ends.

Shop Around
Try consulting more than one stylist for your trial run so that you find the best person for you. There may be someone in your usual salon who specializes in the look you want for your wedding. You won't be slighting your regular stylist if you try this person or ask for a recommendation; having your hair done for a big event is very different from getting an everyday great cut or color.

Get Help
If you plan to do your hair yourself, go for it! Just don't do it by yourself. Have a good (honest) friend with you to give perspective while you work.

Be True to the Real You
Don't go too over the top -- it will just leave your guests wondering who that chick in the white dress is! Besides that, an overly complicated 'do is just one more thing for you to worry about -- and we all know that's not something you need right now!
Courtesy of theknot.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel,
I agree,change is good -- but not on your wedding day. Great tips!
Little E

Berry Creek Country Club said...

Little E,
Your comments are so great...I hope you continue to look at the blog!

Stacy Cross said...

Haha - girl, that is the TRUTH! :) Great advice....your brides are so lucky to have all your wisdom! :)

Stacy Cross said...

That is the truth, lady! :) I love all of your advice - your brides are so lucky to have your wisdom. :)